You may enter appointments into a BSCW calendar to organize events of different types (private dates, group meetings, telephone conferences). An appointment is described by at least a date and a name. If the appointment concerns a group of people, you may specify its participants. Upon request, the participants are invited automatically, and their individual status (accepted, declined) is managed along with the status of the appointment itself. Besides name, date and eventual participants, you may also define a series of recurrences of an appointment and have reminders sent by e-mail.
• To create a new appointment inside a calendar, select File New Appointment in the top menu, click in the action shortcut bar or click in the day entries of a week or month view.
• The ‘Add Appointment’ action form has four sections where to enter different kinds of information concerning the new appointment:
• ‘Appointment’: Enter name and optionally tags and description. Further you may specify:
• Date/Time: Enter date and time of the appointment. Optionally you may also specify the end of the appointment and the time zone.
• Location: enter the physical location of the appointment (if applicable).
• Status: specifies the status of an appointment (tentative, confirmed, cancelled). Choose ‘confirmed’ if the appointment will take place regardless of whether individual participants decline their participation. The default status ‘automatic’ means that the status is initially set to ‘tentative’ and then is changed automatically when all participants have confirmed or declined.
• ‘Participants’: The participants of the appointment may be chosen as you would choose users when inviting new members to a workspace: you can choose from your address book, enter user names directly or conduct a search for users. Tick the respective check box if you want to have the participants invited by an e-mail message. When inviting to an appointment of a group calendar, you may of course also invite persons who are not members of the group calendar’s workspace. If you plan to attend to an appointment that you are about to create, don’t forget to invite yourself: you are not a participant by default!
• ‘Recurrence’: Here you may specify a series of recurrences of the appointment you are about to create. This is done via rules of various types (e.g. weekly, weekly on certain weekdays or monthly on certain days of month) that may be selected from the ‘Rule type’ list box. By clicking on [Add recurrence] you get a rule field that you fill in according to your needs. In the same manner you may add more rules that generate further recurrences of your appointment. For monthly recurrences, there are certain short notations to denote, e.g., the third day of the month (3) or the second to last Sunday of the month (-2 Su).
If you want to exclude some dates from the recurrences of the appointment you have to generate exceptions: choose a rule, click on [Add exception] and specify the details in the respective exception field. You may, of course, add several exceptions this way.
Note: The selection of a rule type alone, e.g. ‘Weekly’, does not yet add a recurrence to your appointment; you have to click on the [Add recurrence] button.
• ‘Reminders’: Here you may specify a reminder e-mail message to be sent to yourself, the participants of the appointment or the members of your workspace. Select the persons the reminder is to be sent to from the ‘Reminder type’ list box. By clicking on [Add], you get a reminder field that you fill in with the details of the reminder (when, how often, to whom). You may also attach a personal note to the otherwise automatically generated reminder message. You may specify several reminders to be sent at different times to different numbers of people by repeatedly hitting [Add].
• Confirm with [OK] to create the appointment according to the specifications made so far. All properties of the appointment may also be specified and changed at a later point in time.